History

Humble Beginnings

Our Redeemer Lutheran Church was organized as a mission congregation in August 1948 with 80 communicant and 104 baptized members. Services were temporarily held at Trinity Lutheran at 14th and Bluff. In 1949 property was purchased on Avenue H.

By the grace of God, the congregation became self-supporting in 1955, and in February, 1959 the congregation purchased a 12.7 acre site on Johnson Road. The property included a 13 room Georgian style mansion, and several other buildings. The mansion was renovated to include a chapel, Sunday School classrooms and a kitchen. The new chapel was dedicated in February, 1960.

In February, 1962 the members of Our Redeemer declared ‘Now Is The Time’ and planning began for building a new sanctuary which was completed in 1966.

Interim Church | 14th and Bluff
First Building | Avenue H
The Mansion | Johnson Road
Current Sanctuary | Circa 1966
Pastors
Reverend Dale Snyder
  C.M. Beyer 1948 1950 Donald R. Peymann 1970 1975
  Orville A. Buntrock 1951 1951 Kenneth H. Roever 1976 1978
  Russell C. Prohl 1952 1957 Todd A. Ditloff 1979 1986
  Theodore Moeller 1958 1960 Charles Paulson 1987 2004
  Alfred Scholz 1960 1969 Dale Snyder 2005
Expansion Era 1985 – 1997
Fellowship Hall AdditionEducation Wing Addition

The first goal was to build a versatile facility that would meet the current needs and hopefully provide space for future growth. The large Fellowship Hall itself would provide a variety of possibilities for classes and would have the capacity to comfortably seat large groups for congregational gatherings, dinners or other special programs, and would include a well-equipped kitchen and serving area. The Fellowship Hall Addition was dedicated August 1985.

In the spirit of community outreach, Our Redeemer leased the Mansion Building to Hospice of Wichita Falls in 1991 and sold the building and 4.5 acres of land to this vital organization in 1994.

The second goal would be to build an Education facility with classroms, a room designated for Senior Youth, new offices for the Sunday School directors, as well as a spacious choir room with an office for its director. It also included restrooms and several storage closets as well as rear door entry toward the Sanctuary, which is a great help to the many musicians who use this exit on a regular basis. The Education Wing Addition was dedicated in May 1997.

50th Anniversary 1998
For 60+ years now Our Redeemer Lutheran Church has been blessed by God’s love and grace. On October 4, 1998 we gathered to offer Him our praise and thanksgiving. Reverend Todd A. Dittloff delivered the 10:30am sermon and Reverend Alfred Scholz preached at 2:00pm. Both former ORLC Pastors returned for this joyous celebration.
50th Anniversary
Sanctuary Renovation 2012

The Sanctuary served us well for 46 years, but 2012 would be the year that we were blessed with contributions that allowed us to completely renovate this unique structure. Demolition was conducted by Elders and other dedicated members, and the proper removal and disposal of the old flooring was contracted under State regulations. New carpeting was installed in the entire area except for the Altar platform which was tiled with matching marble.

All new pews, choir chairs, and Chancel furniture were constructed by a professional furniture manufacturer and our members finished the job by replacing old bulbs with brighter energy efficient ones, painting, and cleaning up the mess.

Demolition of Altar Area
Old Furniture Removed
Altar Cross Installation
New Flooring Installed
Please join us Sunday mornings at 8:00am for Early Service or 10:30am for Late Service, to see this beautiful new Sanctuary in person. Bible Study and Sunday School Opening begins at 9:15am, with classes starting at 9:30am.